December 23, 2004

Breakaway

I heard this song on the radio today, and as it turns out, not owning a TV has its disadvantages. I mean, sure, I avoid all the crap that's on (including the news, sometimes), but I missed this one. Kelly Clarkson was apparently on this show called "American Idol" that I never watched. Even I heard about the show, but I never heard the song till today. And somehow it helps to have heard it. I wish I could say that it was from a Christian song that I found some inspiration, but today it was from what appears to be the secular world.

I think this sort of confirms my growing suspician - the secular and the Christian worlds really aren't very different. In fact, the only thing different is that Christians - at least, true Jesus-Followers - claim grace from a God who loves them, and the secular world refuses to have anything to do with Him. But something about this song struck me as wholly inspiring and even something Jesus might approve of. It speaks to those who grew up in tough places. Now, I grew up in a loving home, with wonderful parents and a wonderful sister, but it speaks to me too. It reminds me of those not as fortunate as me, and it reminds me that I have to grow up and move onto the stuff God's got planned for me away from home, away from comfort, away from all that is familiar: "take a risk, take a chance, and break away."

Anyway, the song. Enjoy.

Breakaway, by Kelly Clarkson

Grew up in a small town, and when the rain would fall down,
I'd just stare out my window.
Dreaming of what could be, and if I'd end up happy,
I would pray.

Try hard to reach out, but when I tried to speak out,
Felt like no-one could hear me.
Wanted to belong here, but something felt so wrong here.
So I'd pray, I could break away.

(chorus)
I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly,
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky,
And I'll make a wish, take a chance,
Make a change, and break away.
Out of the darkness and into the sun,
I won't forget all the ones that I love.
I've gotta take a risk, take a chance,
Make a change, and break away.

Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree,
Feel the rush of the ocean.
Get onboard a fast train, travel on a jetplane,
Faraway, and break away.

(chorus)

Buildings with a 100 floors,
Swinging around revolving doors,
Maybe I don't know where they'll take me.
But I gotta keep moving on moving on,
Fly away, break away.

(chorus) ...

The music video (and hear it): http://media.bmgonline.com/rcarecords.com/kelly_clarkson/video/breakaway_300.asx

No comments: