August 16, 2006

Writer's Block

I have a confession to make: I've hit a bit of a writer's block lately. I'm told by other authors that this happens from time to time, that it's perfectly normal, yadda yadda yadda. That doesn't make it less irritating, just irritation with an explanation. Which I suppose is better.

So I thought, perhaps I'll just show you the things I've been reading.

First up is not really ... reading, so much as smashing a penguin with a bat. This one is Greg's fault, if you must know. Try it, you'll understand how addicting it is. But the frustrating thing is that Greg and Priscilla both say that they've gotten high scores higher than mine, and I can't seem to beat them. It's very frustrating.

Next up is actually reading. I'm working on this project for my FORGE internship - my second assignment - and it's turning out to be a really good book. Better than I'd hoped, actually, because not only is it informative and well written, but he seems to really like The Matrix, one of my all-time favorite movies. I highly recommend the book, and if anybody wants, I'll post my review here to read (the project is to review the book). Anyway, that's due on September 1, and I have an anniversary and an orchestra concert before that to get ready for.

Next up is the news. I love
google, because not only is it a rediculously powerful search engine, but you can customize the homepage to display news, your gmail, and all sorts of other fun things (little-known words of the day, this day in history, technology news, a calender, etc). This is how I keep up with the latest happenings in the world. Some articles that caught my attention recently:

-The
solar system is about to get three more planets. My favorite quote from the article is from a seventh-grade science teacher: "We probably don't do a good enough job as teachers to teach science as something that changes."
-The
liquid bomb problem in the UK, and what they're going to do about it.
-In other world news, another
terror plot has been foiled, this time targeting the Southern Baptist Convention. *disclaimer: I didn't get this from Google news*

Lastly, I've been reading a few blogs that I really enjoy, and perhaps you might as well:

-
Andrew Hamilton, pastor of a missional church in Perth.
-
Christine Hnat, writes some fantastic stuff on feminism.
-
Jon Cruz, writes well about pretty much everything he thinks about, which is a lot.

So there you have some new reading material, and one game to consume whatever free time you might have left.

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

But you did beat me. I only got 310.somethingerother. But...can you beat my low score???

I've been having writer's block too. Thus my boring blog which I happened to notice that you did not read. LOL!

Greg said...

My favorite quote from the article is from a seventh-grade science teacher: "We probably don't do a good enough job as teachers to teach science as something that changes."

That was a great quote. I followed the links to the article too. Good stuff. That is the funniest part about science to me. I love it, actually. I love all things science. But, I detest the "knowledge of absolute truth" attitude. Most scientists (or, teachers of science) state things as though they are truth - and forever will be. Which ignores the fact that any new "discovery" they have just made likely erases several things formerly held as "forever true".

Oh boy. Well, at least that teacher seems to understand the reality of science, and its limitations. That doesn't make it bad. But, it is what it is.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if we have 12 planets or 56 planets... but... we're making one of the asteroids a planet? Fascinating...

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Liz,

Ok Chris I've managed to stay up past my bedtime to play the penguin game and get 320.5. Tori said my son Cody can get an even higher score. I will find out his secret in the morning.
Take Care,
Tammy Clarke

Chris said...

Greg, it's funny you say "knowledge of absolute truth" ... because that's how a great number of people, most especially in the western world, view the church. Rightly so - so many Christians are self-proclaimed "experts" on all things, especially on things eternal. It's irritating as hell - they often claim to know more about science than scientists themselves, because they read a book once on a subject.

While I believe I am right, I also recognize that there's a fairly decent possibility that I'm wrong; and of course I don't know if evolution is true; neither do they, really, but why should I be any more sure of the facts of the world than they are?

That's why it's called faith: I don't know for sure, but that's where I'm throwing my lot, because it seems to me to be the greatest possibility (there's that little clause about Jesus which I happen to find fantastic, and since I've gotten to know the guy, I like my choice better and better).

But that's why I think science, in some regards, can be a religion as well - so many parts of it are guesswork, but they seem likely to a lot of people, so that's where they throw their confidence.