May 31, 2007

Grades!

So I've finally completed the semester. I'm mostly pleased with my grades, especially given the ever-changing circumstances of the past semester ... moving twice (once during finals), many doctors visits for my wife, getting adjusted to a new school, work, finding new jobs, etc. Current GPA: 3.7 ... and my major was approved, so I'm now officially in the "Master of the Arts in Intercultural Studies" program. I was also pleased to discover that the registrar approved my transfer credits from Kingsley College (in Melbourne). Actually, they approved twelve credits rather than the expected nine ... so I have one less semester to complete at Asbury than I was expecting!

Still looking for another job, but I did get a call from Starbucks, so your prayers that it would pan out well are appreciated. The place they interviewed me for is actually closer (I think) than Coldstone, which would be nice so I could save on gas (which is currently at an exhorbitant $3.09.9/gal).

But I get to read books I want to this summer! Woo hoo! Here's a portion of my reading list:

Stuff I've already read since school let out:
The Abolition of Man, by C.S. Lewis
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

Books I'm Currently Working On:
Exiles, by Mike Frost
Stone Tables, by Orson Scott Card

Books I'm Looking Forward To:
Fiction:
Treason, by Orson Scott Card
Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card
Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card
Children of the Mind, by Orson Scott Card (are you sensing a pattern yet?)

NonFiction:
Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis
The Problem of Pain, by C.S. Lewis
The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton
Finding Life, by Ash Barker
The Forgotten Ways, by Alan Hirsch (a FORGE mate)
The Story We Find Ourselves In, by Brian McLaren
The Celtic Way of Evangelism, by George Hunter (an Asbury Prof, no less)
Credible Witness, by Darren Cronshaw (a FORGE mate)

So we'll see if I make it through all of them. In addition, I have a few others that I've been given by relatives I'd like to peruse, most notably a book written by a deceased relative, a medical missionary, called "Little Stories of China" (by Jennie Manget Logan). She served in China for 41 years starting in 1873, and given the extraordinary exponential growth in the Chinese church as of late, it should be a fascinating read.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Hey- well done especially with all the stuff there to distract you. The Major your going for sounds pretty interesting...and lastly, you read alot.