July 6, 2006

Symbols

I don't wear much jewelry, but I do have two pieces. The first is my necklace, a Christmas present from my sister, which I wear most of the time. It's a Celtic knot, which, to me, is way better than a cross. I get complimented on it all the time, and as a result, get to tell the story behind it. Fun times.

But that is not what I'm writing about. The second piece, obviously, is my wedding ring. I think that my wedding ring is probably the coolest ring ever. At least, the coolest for a guy (women have so much more to choose from, but that's to be expected since it's obviously not the sort of thing most guys are on about). I was staring at it on a train yesterday and decided that I should mention it here. Since I post whatever whim is on my mind (it is, after all, "random thoughts"), nobody should be surprised.

I love that it's unique; I've never yet seen anybody else with one (and I do look occasionally) like it, though I ordered it from a catalogue at Mann's Jewelers. I love that it matches its counterpart, a white gold number with modern-looking edges, but aged with time and stories.

I love that it's not perfect. If you look closely, there are nicks and scratches all over the surface, imperfections from the wear-and-tear of use. I love that it's simple without compromising its uniqueness; an ordinary band, but the little edge around it gives the light all kinds of ways to play around the edges and ripple across the smooth surfaces in bands. I love that it's comfortable; it sits on my hand without much notice, yet I'm always aware of its presence.

All in all, a good symbol of my marriage.

No comments: